Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, our bay window needs the tiles replacing, they are looking very old and like they have been painted previously. Stupid question maybe, but are the tiles used for bays different to roof tiles? If so, presumably best place to go is a roofing merchants to see the different types.

Sponsored Links
They are the same. Ask to see some plain tile samples. Roofing merchants will be the best place to go.

Hi, our bay window needs the tiles replacing, they are looking very old and like they have been painted previously. Stupid question maybe, but are the tiles used for bays different to roof tiles? If so, presumably best place to go is a roofing merchants to see the different types.
If yours is a typical bay then you will have two side elevations as well as a front. This will mean corner specials (right hand/left hand) which are specific to tile hanging ranges of tiles.

If yours is a typical bay then you will have two side elevations as well as a front. This will mean corner specials (right hand/left hand) which are specific to tile hanging ranges of tiles.

Thanks. Yes it has five sides e.g. 135 angles. I dont know if they use corner tiles like you mention though. Do roofing merchants still sell them?

Sponsored Links
90 degree yes , anything else not all tile makes. A lead soaker and close mitre the tiles is used

90 degree yes , anything else not all tile makes. A lead soaker and close mitre the tiles is used

OK so what you are saying is that for my bay i probably would not be able to find corner tiles given the angles, so I just look for the normal plain roof tiles.

I am saying corners @ 135 will not be easy to source, not all manufacturers make them, some of the clay tile suppliers do.. As I said Roofing merchants first stop Burtons maybe?. Not Builders merchants..

Without angles, you need eave tiles for top and bottom, standard tile for the field areas, and tile and half to create your bond.

I am saying corners @ 135 will not be easy to source, not all manufacturers make them, some of the clay tile suppliers do.. As I said Roofing merchants first stop Burtons maybe?. Not Builders merchants..

Without angles, you need eave tiles for top and bottom, standard tile for the field areas, and tile and half to create your bond.

thanks, what do you mean by tile and half to create your bond?

thanks, what do you mean by tile and half to create your bond?

Tiles are half bonded (like bricks) and require either a tile cut in half or a larger tile 'n' half at the verge to start the bond.

Eaves tile - short tile to start the roof off - at the fascia and also used as a short course at the ridge etc.

Plain tile - standard size tile.

Tile 'n' half - wider tile to begin the correct bonding every other course. Can also be used when finishing at a hip or valley etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back