Tilie over Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a downstairs loo that is beautifully tiled in the ugliest of tiles and I have loads of lovely tiles left over from doing my bathroom I have never done tiling before but I watched the geezer tile the bathroom so I know the principles but what I need to know is can I tile over the existing tiles and is there any thing I should know I watched a youtube video the geezer used some black sheeting but it was a US video so dont know what it was and he was doing a floor and I didnt like the look of his bandana. Thanks Sarah

Sponsored Links
Hi I have a downstairs loo that is beautifully tiled in the ugliest of tiles and I have loads of lovely tiles left over from doing my bathroom I have never done tiling before but I watched the geezer tile the bathroom so I know the principles but what I need to know is can I tile over the existing tiles and is there any thing I should know I watched a youtube video the geezer used some black sheeting but it was a US video so dont know what it was and he was doing a floor and I didnt like the look of his bandana. Thanks Sarah
you need to know what is under the tiles to take account of tile weights if its plaster then the tile weight should not exeed 20kg/m² including grout and adhesive and 32kg/m² when tiling direct onto plasterboard. plus you have to be sure that the tiles Underneath are stuck soundly to the wall.

Thats really helpful i think one side of it is plasterboard and the other should be plaster on brick I am putting thin tiles on so it should be ok. Is there anything I need to know about the adhesive should I scratch up the old tiles or will it stick on ok do you think

Thats really helpful i think one side of it is plasterboard and the other should be plaster on brick I am putting thin tiles on so it should be ok. Is there anything I need to know about the adhesive should I scratch up the old tiles or will it stick on ok do you think
make sure they are clean, use a good quality adhesive no need to scratch

Sponsored Links
Before you proceed.....the existing tiles....

What size type are they...

Ceramic....glazed or unglazed

Stone...etc....

Tiles you propose to fix,what size/type/weight are they?....

Are the existing bonded properly to wall substrate?....

Not that many adhesive will bond to differant types of tiles...non porous tiles..ect..

For piece off mind strip and redo imo ...

Yep strip and redo, tiling over tiles is a bodge, always has been always will be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back