tiling a bathroom... help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, ive got a bathroom to tile, and was after some advice. The walls are straightforward, but the floors are wooden floorboards. I was wondering what preperation i need, i.e plywood thicknes and how to apply it. Also, do i put anything onto the ply before tiling, like sealants? or do i just tile straight onto the tile? also the tiles are porcelain, and someone told me i should seal them before grouting?? anybody know if this is true? any advice would be welcome, oh and hello to everyone, im a total newbie to the site...many thanks, jimmyk07

Sponsored Links
You have three choices;
1. Overboard with minimum 12mm WBP ply; seal the back & edges with an acrylic primer before laying. Make sure the floorboard are well secured, use additional screws where necessary (check for pipes & cables) Position joints so they are supported along the centre line of a joist, fix with screws not nails every 150mm through into the joists not just into the top of the floorboards, again check for pipes & cables.

2. Alternatively you can use a waterproof tile backer board as long as the floorboards are in good condition & there is not movement or flex in the floor.

3. Replace the floor with 18-25mm WBP ply, thickness depends on size/pitch/span of your joists; this is usually my preferred option as you know exactly where you stand & it reduces large steps at the door threshold.

It depends what type of porcelain tiles you have; some require no sealing at all some need sealing before laying & again before grouting & some come pre-sealed; check with your supplier. If in doubt a water test will tell you; put a blob of water on the tile, leave for ½ minute & wipe off, if it leaves a mark the tiles need sealing. Do not prime any tile surface unless your chosen adhesive manufacturer recommends it.

You say the walls are straight forward but there are still many things that can catch you out particularly the type of tile base you have & if you intend using large format tiles. I would advise you read the Tiling Sticky & Forum Archive posts before doing any work or buying materials, it could prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes. It’s also important to use only quality trade tilling materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base; cheapo own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back