Tiling a concrete garage floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double garage with a concrete floor and would like to tile it with ceramic/quarry tiles. The floor is rough in places and smooth in others and has been painted with proper 2 pack floor paint which has flaked up in a couple of places.

The question is, can I just lay the tiles on top of the paint or will I have to remove it first (if so how). Also, should I be using some sort of levelling compound before I tile.

The garage is used as a general workshop and always has 2 cars parked inside.

Any help appreciated, thanks

Sponsored Links
Paint is always a dodgy thing in tiling. Basically, if its gloss paint your OK. The best thing to do is call someone like ardex.co.uk , the help line is on the web site, and they will advise you further.

You could try skimming off the paint with a grinder or paint stripper, making it good with a good sealer, again ardex products, then I would self-level compound then use Ardex floor adhesives and grout.

You really need to purchase the materials from a tile shop, not b&q etc, as their produces are the best.

Hope that helps you out. You can also try bal.co.uk , another good make of materials. ( use them all the time, but call their help line 1st.)

You can hire tools to grind the paint off floor from places like HSS.

BAL make a range of "moto" products especially for use in garages & showrooms.

Jason

Thanks guys, I will certainly check out the Ardex website though not sure about Bal. The URL you gave (bal.co.uk) brought up 'BAL broadcast', a professional video and audio web site ! I tried bal.com and that did not work either.

If you get a minute perhaps you could double check what the URL should be and let me know.

Cheers
Alan

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back