Tiling a wetroom with real stone tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, I'm about to tile my bathroom floor to ceiling with real stone tavetine and mosaic tiles. I went to look at the aquapanel stuff to fit on the walls for its thermal stability but it was so heavy and expensive, I bought 12.5mm plasterboard for the walls but then was told by a proffesional to use ply, so now I have bought 12.5mm ply for around the shower/bath and plasterboard for around the toilet and sink.

I just wondered what I should prime the ply and plasterboard with to waterproof it and add a key? I'm using BAL self mix for natural stone adhesive. Some people have said PVA and others oil based primer, can anyone recomment a particular product...

For the floor I'm using ply and waterproof matting from topps tiles, does have any recommendations of how to stick this down. I'm making a wet room for the first time with a floor drain although in reality it is unlikely to get fully soaked too often I just want to make sure I do a good job

Any advice would be great, cheers, Rob

Sponsored Links
you definately need to tank the walls as well especially if using plasterboard.

In my opinion ply is a complete no-no in a bathroom. Also, travertine can be difficult to cut. Are you sure that you aren't getting out of your depth here?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back