Tiling advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am tiling my bathroom using ceramic tiles (25x40)

Two of the walls I am putting up MR plasterboard. The rest are just plaster, which I have levelled out as best as I can.

What I intend to do is tape the plasterboard joints using scrim tape and multifinish. Once dry, I will sand down and then prime the whole MR board with mapei tile adhesive primer (see link below)

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-til...tracking url&gclid=CISWp7bd9L0CFQUFwwodVRcAuA

For the walls, I will be using Mapei fast set tile adhesive powder (20kg bag). Is this combination of primer and adhesive suitable?

On a side note, is it best to tile the wall, THen the floor, making sure I leave enough gap at the bottom for floor tiles.

thanks for help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Instead of tape and multi finish why don't you use mesh tape and tile adhesive?

Not sure unskimmed plasterboard needs a primer. Won't do any harm though.

Best approach to walls & floor is probably to do the walls first leaving out the bottom row. Do the floor then cut the bottom row in.

Btw. There are cheaper places to buy adhesive and primer from than Screwfix (not Topps).

I am painting the ceiling after I have skimmed with multifinish so thats why I thought pf uaing multifiniah for the jointing. I have self adheaive mesh tape, does this fo straiggt on the joint, with multifinish over the top?

should I get easy fill or is multi finish adequate to go over the tape (and fill in the small gaps between the boards)

many thanks for your help

Mark

If the mesh tape is self adhesive then why not just stick it on and cover it with tile adhesive when you tile the wall. No sense using multifinish where you will be tiling.

Sponsored Links
I will do that! Thanks for ur help. I just thought a paste of somesort had to be applied, didnt know tile adhesive is sufficient.

Cheers

A cement based tile adhesive will do a much better job than multifinish - it'll be a much stronger bond.

I have got Mapei fast set tile adhesive - is this okay to use?

Cheers

You might find a slow setting adhesive easier on the walls.

Fast set on the floor means you can walk on it sooner but on the walls a slow set allows you more time to adjust the tiles.

You might find a slow setting adhesive easier on the walls.

Fast set on the floor means you can walk on it sooner but on the walls a slow set allows you more time to adjust the tiles.

Thanks for your help mate. What can you recommend to use for the wall tile adhesive (needs to be suitable for bathroom£

Do I need flexible adhesive for the floor or is the mapei I fast set okay for the floor tile adhesive?

You haven't said what floor your tiling on to but 9 times out of 10 you'll want to use a flexible adhesive on the floor.

I've used Weber adhesives rapid.spf of floor & set.plus on walls but I'm sure Mapei do good equivalent adhesives as do Ardex/Bal etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back