Tiling and grouting a small area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to a water leak I'm having to repair the tiling at the bottom of a shower cubicle, about 12 tiles in total.

I've replaced the damaged board behind the tiles, tanked it, and am now about to tile the area. My question is, after fixing the tiles, do I need to let the tile adhesive dry before I grout the area? If so, is there a minimum time that I should allow?

It seems to be that what seemed to be a straight forward and rather small repair could drag on and on, and 'Er Indoors want's it done last Friday!! ;)

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
yes it is important the tiles are properly fixed before you grout, so allow the drying time allocated on the packaging/tub.

24 hours is usually enough.

Yes 24hrs is usually enough, the adhesive will be slower drying as the tanking won't absorb any moisture. Don't be in a rush to start using the shower a lot of grouts should be left for seven days before use otherwise the surface will become pitted which provides an ideal surface for mould :cry:, check what it says on the pack.

So don't put the tin bath away yet ;)

Jason

Yikes!! 7 days after grouting...... :eek:

Mrs T is not going to be happy about that at all!!!!! :evil:

Sponsored Links
At least 72 hrs for adhesive to go off on impervious backgrounds (tiles, tanking etc) for pre-mixed adhesive. 3 hrs for rapid setting adhesive. ;)
24 hours for most powdered grouts. Not too sure about this 7 days biz.

gcol said:
Not too sure about this 7 days biz.

Don't you ever read the packets :!: ;) ;)

Both BAL Grout and BAL Superflex say not to use showers for two weeks and swimming pools for three weeks :!:

Thats where Mapie Ultracolour Plus grout comes in handy, rapid set in three hours usable in 24Hr :D

Jason

Jasonb said:
Don't you ever read the packets :!: ;) ;)
Yep, that 2 & 3 weeks biz is from british standards. Bal quote a cure time of 24hrs and that's what I go off. Bal also recommend you use an Epoxy grout for showers with body jets - do you ever? ;)
Common sense will prevail!

Incidently I never used Bal gear much except for tiling onto timber - it's too expensive for regualr use IMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back