Tiling bathroom, and flooring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am redoing the en suite and main bathroom. Ripped everything out, had a fight with the tile adhesive, I won….

Now I am going to be tiling the floors, I have taken up the laminate, (waste of time laminating bathrooms, especially when you have small children). The chipboard floor doesn’t look too bad.

I know I need to use Ply, but when the laminate was down, there was a bit of a step into the bathrooms. If I put 12mm Ply down, and tile on top there will be a bigger step, which I wanted to avoid. What other options do I have? The bathrooms are roughly 4m2 each.

Cheers
Bob

Sponsored Links
Chipboard is crap in a bathroom (or anywhere else for that matter) & you should never tile over it. My advice is take it up & replace with 18-25mm WBP ply, depending on joist size/pitch/span. Manufacturers of quality trade tile adhesive recommend the BS 15mm minimum when over boarding but it’s generally recognised 12mm is sufficient in most cases. If you do decide to stick with over boarding do not use less than 12mm or you risk failure, especially with chipboard.

Have a read through the tiling forum archive posts, lots of info in there to help prevent you making potentially expensive mistakes. ;)

Thanks Richard,

I am tempted to rip up the chipboard and replace the flooring with 18-25mm WBP Ply, the first one I am doing is 1.8mx1.7m..

If I overboard, and then tile, I think there will be quite a step into the en suite.

Thanks Again.

Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back