tiling bathroom project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i will soon be embarking on my bathroom project and wanted to get some advice. I will be tiling the floors and walls in the same ceramic tiles or very similar.

There is a small space at the moment that we are going to put a stud wall in and fit a mixer shower to. This shower will be fixed to the stud wall, have a stud wall to the right and plastered brick wall to the left.

From reading as much as I can, this is my plan. feel free to correct me where you see necessary.

Im going to overboard with wbp ply on the floor and seal the underside and edges with primer.

The shower will not be in any enclosure just this small space I mentioned earlier so I was going to put aquapanel on the walls and floor in this area. Would this be OK?

The rest of the bathroom walls are plastered brick walls. I was just going to tile straight over this with no boarding etc. Would this be OK? and should I be using any kind of primer here?

Sponsored Links
Im going to overboard with wbp ply on the floor and seal the underside and edges with primer.
What is the current floor made of? What thickness is the WBP you’re proposing to use? Which primer? What is the size of the room?

The shower will not be in any enclosure just this small space I mentioned earlier so I was going to put aquapanel on the walls and floor in this area. Would this be OK?
So are you fitting a shower tray? A pre-formed wet room tray? Aquapanel should be OK for the walls & it’s all I use in conventional showers but I would normally advise either a waterproof backer board or tanking for wet rooms (Wedi, Marmox); Aquapanel is only classed water resistant. You really need a wet room floor so, again, either use a pre-formed wet room tray with waterproof backer boards taped & sealed over the entire floor area or, if you use Aquapanel, you really need to tank it.

The rest of the bathroom walls are plastered brick walls. I was just going to tile straight over this with no boarding etc. Would this be OK? and should I be using any kind of primer here?
What size/weight of tiles are you proposing? What finish is on the plastered brick walls?

Read the Tiling Forum sticky & archive threads, it may prevent you making disasterious & potentially expensive mistakes. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back