Tiling Conservatory floor tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to start my first tiling project and tile my conservatory floor, - was just wondering if anyone had any hints/tips to help me along the way?

I've read the stickys and all the basics, - I think my main concern is getting the right position of the tiles and judging the gaps by the walls as I think their slightly out but im hoping this wont notice too much!

The room is not square its the traditional conservatory shape so there will be quite a bit of cutting angles involved which im hoping wont be too difficult!!

ONe thing ive noticed is that when it rains, there is a bit of damp on the floor around the door, - should I put anything down on this before tiling to seal it somehow or jus go straight over it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Before you can tile you must get rid of the damp, you cannot tile over damp!

I assume it’s a concrete floor? Do you know why it's damp; is damp coming up through the floor & is it just rain coming through the roof windows? Do you know how the cons was built (i.e. does it have a damp membrane in the floor & a damp course in the walls? When was it built? What type of tiles are you having? Have you read through the Tiling Forum archive posts?

Think its coming up through the floor, from around the edge of the dpm in the floor! was built a few months ago and now just getting round to tiling, - it only gets slightly damp in the corner at the edge by the door when it rains!

Just using standard ceramic tiles

Sponsored Links
If the Damp membrane & DPC have been correctly installed, they should run under the door cill & you should not be getting damp. Check that water is not getting inside the door frame, running down inside the profile & coming out the bottom. If it is damp, you cannot tile over a damp floor & I suggest you call back whoever built the cons; unless it was DIY of course!

I assume your referring to a Victorian cons! It’s usual to tile from the centre in each direction but you need to check the layout with your size of tile first, you don’t want to be left with small tile slips either side as this will be exaggerated if the walls are out. You’re going to need to hire or buy a diamond wet wheel cutter to stand any chance of cutting decent angles on the tiles; the wastage could be very high & you’ll have no chance with 2 angles on the same tile if you try it with a manual tile cutter. Use only decent trade cement based adhesive & grout, not cheapo DIY stuff,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back