Floor Tile Size Vs Floor area and adhesive reccs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, searched for this unfortunately couldnt find a quick answer. I am lookingto tile my conservatory floor in either Honed or riven slate floor tiles (topps have some good deals on at the mo). I am unsure as this is my first floor tiling project whether 30X30 tiles are going to look odd in our conservatory which is pretty large (5mX4.5m).

Rather than buy the tiles then find out it looks carp, was wondering if these size tiles are commonly used in this sort of room. I dont want to really go modular as its my first floor tiling project, although can lay out dry if needs be. The modular would be 60X30 and 30X30.

What do think? The subfloor is a painted concrete slab (going to scuff it up a bit to give good adhesion first) and as I say natural stone surface. What adhesive would you reccommend (best value but still good stuff)?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
size is a personal preference thing but on an area of that size a 400x400 or bigger wouldnt look odd. personally i think that larger looks more expensive.

Adhesive wise be aware that it will only stick to the paint so the paint must be stuck to your floor well. Topps sell bad at frankly extortionate rates so be careful about your 'bargain'. go for a a good quality bal, granfix or similar bagged trade adhesive.

if you prefer a modular pattern dont shy away on the grounds that its your first go, its not really any harder.

if you go large format, make sure you use a deep trowel and get good coverage on the adhesive with no voids

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back