Tiling - fed up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I have a pig of a bathroom to do . The layout works best if there is a small tile directly either side of the window. I’ve agonised with various permutations but this seems best. Anyway, I have cut 5 tiles trying to get the first cut tile to fit, I know you are supposed to butt the tile right up to where the trim would be but this is impossible. The trim is 8mm aluminium angle and has no lip so is non- forgiving. I fear it would be difficult to get a horizontal to butt against it let alone a vertical at a right angle too. See pic: this is the best I can do. There will be gaps out to the side of the trim. Even the thickness of the pen I’m marking the tile with makes the difference depending on if you cut through the middle, below the mark or above the mark. I’m at my wits end with it. Any advice appreciated. Would the tiles shown look awful when brought? Thank you?

Attachments

• 8F290C6C-1321-46AC-AF69-042A9461A910.jpeg
    8F290C6C-1321-46AC-AF69-042A9461A910.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 152
  • EE2C64BC-3F71-4FED-A40B-64B8150026B4.jpeg
    EE2C64BC-3F71-4FED-A40B-64B8150026B4.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 141
Sponsored Links
Hello all,
I have a pig of a bathroom to do . The layout works best if there is a small tile directly either side of the window. I’ve agonised with various permutations but this seems best. Anyway, I have cut 5 tiles trying to get the first cut tile to fit, I know you are supposed to butt the tile right up to where the trim would be but this is impossible. The trim is 8mm aluminium angle and has no lip so is non- forgiving. I fear it would be difficult to get a horizontal to butt against it let alone a vertical at a right angle too. See pic: this is the best I can do. There will be gaps out to the side of the trim. Even the thickness of the pen I’m marking the tile with makes the difference depending on if you cut through the middle, below the mark or above the mark. I’m at my wits end with it. Any advice appreciated. Would the tiles shown look awful when brought? Thank you?
So you are not using tile trim? I tile the reveal first and tile up to it so trim hides the face edge, which is what you see most of .

Maybe choose a different style of trim, whatever trim you use In think you'll need to pruduce a cleaner cut?.

I managed to get one side of my window a full tile down which made life a lot simpler.

You can cut tile slightly too big and hand finish to correct size, it'll look much better.
20170529_214225.jpg
20170529_214225.jpg

Sponsored Links
What are you using to cut your tiles with. An angle grinder with a decent blade should give you a much cleaner finish. You can grind one cut and score/snap the other. Even a carborundum stone could help tidy up those edges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back