Tiling For Begninners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I did read the sticky and found it very useful. Apart from why he was insistant on not using a Fix & Grout product even though the one I have bought has good reviews on Screwfix and Toolstation. Anyway as you see from my photos Ive had a go at cutting some tiles.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjIDsSnZk6RutwpsDUwdtE272S-V?e=rcVjEQ

I have a tile cutter one where you score it and break it on the raised edge.
It is easy to cut a tile if the score is right in the center. But if I need to cut a section off the end of the tile it is almost impossible without breaking the tile.

I have a tile saw should I use that?
The walls in my house are not straight so the tiles do no sit nicely with the walls. My fix and grout says it can cover up to 4mm should I just use that?

The gap at the back of my tiles is greater than 4mm, shall I just recut some more to replace them?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You could start again or make the best of what you've already done?
There's too much to teach you but if you go on utube and carefully watched the tiling vids you would pick up far more than reading text on here - just saying.

If its a working saw and you know how to use it - yes.
But striking a line and then using pincers to nibble away to the line works well for narrow cuts - practice it.
Yes use what grout you've got if its ont a small area of tile?
No, unless the gap is obvious. If the back butts up then use a sealant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back