Tiling in the kitchen - how long to let plaster dry?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I'm something of a DIY dunce so I'm looking for a bit of guidance if poss. The kitchen needs tiling and there are patches of the old plaster that appear to have been of questionable quality and large chunks of it have crumbled off right to the brickwork. So the wall needs plastering before tiling - couple of questions:

1) what plaster should be used on the brickwork? And I'm assuming it wouldn't need to be skimmed as well, as it's going to be tiled on - is that right?

2) how long does the plaster on the brickwork need to be allowed to dry before tiling onto it? I've read various things online with some saying a few days and others saying a few weeks; is there a definitive answer to this one?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
PVA any exposed brickwork and apply bonding or hardwall to bring it flush. You are not technically supposed to tile onto backing plaster so you should really give the area a skim with multi finish prior to tiling. Finish plaster will dry in 2 or 3 days. Bonding will depend on the thickness but around 1mm per day is a safe assumption. Once the plaster is dry (light pink all over) prime with acrylic or SBR before tiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back