Tiling in the rain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've built a lean-to porch on my house. I've got OSB sarking fixed to the rafters and covered it in Cromar breathable membrane. I'm ready to put the laths on and fix the Marley modern tiles. I was hoping to get it done this week as the scaffold gets collected on sat morning but the forecast is for frequent showers/rain all week. My question is - is it ok to fix the tiles if the membrane is wet?

Regards,

Gareth.

Sponsored Links
If the membrane couldn't get wet that would somewhat defeat the object of having a membrane don't you think? BTW if you have boarding on top of the rafters (for some reason) you're supposed to have counter battens on top of the boards running parallel with the rafters, then the membrane and then the tile battens so that the membrane can drape adequately.

Thanks for the prompt (albeit slightly sarcastic!) reply. My main concern was trapping that amount of moisture under the tiles. I am planning on adding the counter battens above the membrane, as in the pic below. I'm not sure why I would need to allow for draping of the membrane? Surely any water that does get underneath the tiles would run down to the gutters regardless of whether the membrane drapes or not?

zkingspank7a.jpg

My take on it is that the membrane is like an old skool tent - when I used to camp with the scouts you never touched the inside of the fabric because the water would come through - so if the membrane drapes and touches something , same thing occurs IMHO.

Sponsored Links
So long as you have the counter battens under the tile battens it doesn't make a lot of difference where the membrane goes. But I would have avoided the membrane sitting on the osb.

Thanks for the replies. I see your points regarding the membrane sitting on the osb. If I can remove it without damaging it (it is only temporarily held in place as the battens will hold it permanently) then I'll create a gap between it and the osb. The main issue of tiling in the rain clearly isn't a problem so I'll just have to prepare myself for getting cold and wet!!

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back