Tiling internal corners and where to start!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Material: 400 x 400 10mm natural honed calibrated slate
Shower Cubicle: U Shape 800 x 1200 x 800mm
Tiling Pattern: Brick Bond

Questions:

1) When tiling the above where do I start? Was planning on tiling the two outer walls first, up in coloumns using brick bond. I was going to butt up, or leave a 1mm gap between the outer walls and the back wall. I then plan to tile the back wall, again going up in layers leaving a 3mm gap between walls for the silicone. Is this right?

Sponsored Links
personally i would start on the wall facing you, Centre it and work from that, that wall is your focal point as you enter the shower, remember, when you cut a tile into the corner, use the other half on the next wall, after all you dont want say half a tile into the corner then a full tile as it would look stupid

Yes that's good advice. Is doing it brick bond considerably harder? Obviously more cutting involved but I've already cut the tiles as I've tiled my sink unit with them and it cuts really well, and I can shave only a few millimetres off with the wet saw. Taking into account the fact that the cubicle is multiples of 40mm, I am then subtracting the depth of the adhesive, say 4mm bedded, which then gives me a good 8-10mm to play with once a tile is cut in half. If you have any more tips then I would love to hear them.

I assume it is also better to do the back wall first and not to do the whole u shape and work up in layers?

cheers

Yes that's good advice. Is doing it brick bond considerably harder? Obviously more cutting involved but I've already cut the tiles as I've tiled my sink unit with them and it cuts really well, and I can shave only a few millimetres off with the wet saw. Taking into account the fact that the cubicle is multiples of 40mm, I am then subtracting the depth of the adhesive, say 4mm bedded, which then gives me a good 8-10mm to play with once a tile is cut in half. If you have any more tips then I would love to hear them.

I assume it is also better to do the back wall first and not to do the whole u shape and work up in layers?

cheers

Brickbond is not harder at all mate, Sorry but i do not follow what you mean by "cubicle is multiples of 40mm, I am then subtracting the depth of the adhesive, say 4mm bedded, which then gives me a good 8-10mm to play with once a tile is cut in half.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I meant the tiles were 400mm 2 so was thinking their won't be much wastage!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back