tile from corner or edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So i have today installed the tiles on one wall, and tomorrow i'll be doing the remainding wall.

IMG_20200624_202937059.jpg

Would you start tiling from the corner? (half tile) or from the right leading edge (full tile?)

The only issue i have is that at the bottom, the wall is 71cm wide, and at the top, 73.5cm wide.

Do i butt the tile up to the other wall or leave a gap?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Do as you have laid out and.just make your cut into the left wall bigger as you get towards the top.

Do as you have laid out and.just make your cut into the left wall bigger as you get towards the top.

ah okay thanks for your help

so i assume it will be easier to work from outside towards the corner, therefore i can measure and cut accurately?

Sponsored Links
Starting from the right hand side will depend on whether this side is bang on vertical (and whether your tray is bang on horizontal) because if either are not then the full tiles will run off course as you progress up the wall. Personally I would continue to wrap round using the offcuts from the cut tiles so that the pattern of each tile continues. Did you keep the offcuts? This way it doesn't matter whether the right hand side is vertical or not.

Also keep a 2-3mm gap in the corner and fill with colour matched silicone after grouting. Don't grout the joint in the corner or the bottom joint against the tray.

Starting from the right hand side will depend on whether this side is bang on vertical (and whether your tray is bang on horizontal) because if either are not then the full tiles will run off course as you progress up the wall. Personally I would continue to wrap round using the offcuts from the cut tiles so that the pattern of each tile continues. Did you keep the offcuts? This way it doesn't matter whether the right hand side is vertical or not.

i re-used the offcuts for the edges - ie. 2 corner tiles per tile.

Would it look a bit stupid if i put a full tile level in the corner and cut tile at the edge? That way i can cut the edge tile (because it is not 100% level) so it is flush with the edge trim

Very often tile patterns are repeated, can you identify and match up the cut tiles with your remaining tiles, or try to at least get the shading similar? I don't think a full tile would look right in the corner but it's your shower so your choice.

yes i think i'll carry on with the equivalent that would of been left over - so with a 500mm tile it will be approx 300mm cut (200mm on the other wall in corner) and another cut 410mm tile (to make 710cm) - oviously i need to take off groutline

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back