Tiling Kitchen Splashback Surround - GAPS?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm a newbie here but wanting to give tiling a go to do small section of mosiac tiling in my kitchen.

I'm planning to do the space between my kitchen benchtop and the window above it. The height varies as the bench is probably slightly out but is roughly 110mm. I've found some square mosaics I like which are on mesh sheets so I plan to cut the mesh to give me 90-100mm height of the mosaic tiles.

My question is, should I centre them in my 110mm gap or put them just above my benchtop which would leave a 1-2cm gap below my windowsill? What's going to look better? If I centre them then I'm going to have to fill the gaps at the top and bottom aren't I (assuming I do that with some sort of filler as opposed to grout?)

Oh, and does anyone know how to use that steel trim/edging stuff? I know it makes a nicer looking edge but in what circumstances would you use it or not use it?

Any words of wisdom? Please? Pretty please?

Thanks in advance

Lisa

Sponsored Links
at the top of the tiling section there is a "sticky" - a guide to all things tiling, i suggest you go through there and read up on what you need to do, then if you have any more Questions ask away again

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back