Tiling new bathrooms and en-suite room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am currently having some work done in my home and have not long had the skimming finished in the bathrooms(approx 2 weeks ago) with a view to retiling and new shower enclosures etc.
My question is that a) Is tanking the shower enclosures an absolute requirement
b) and if it is , can newly skimmed plaster be tanked and any recommendatons as to what product to use?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
apologies, eyesight not what it used to be.The walls are NOT plasterboard

Normally tank with plasterboard as it fails completely when wet. Skimming was not required if you are tiling.Needs priming , not tanking.

Following this, as will soon do same.

What is best practice for showers these days? I have solid walls plastered, with space for either moisture resistant plasterboard or tile backer board.

Went to B&Q to look at tile backer and member of staff told me moisture resistant plasterboard would be perfectly ok.

Is that right?

Following this, as will soon do same.

What is best practice for showers these days? I have solid walls plastered, with space for either moisture resistant plasterboard or tile backer board.

Went to B&Q to look at tile backer and member of staff told me moisture resistant plasterboard would be perfectly ok.

Is that right?
No , plasterboard will turn to mush when wet. You can tile directly to plaster, prime first.Though my personal preference is for shower panels, only a few joints , less risk of failure, easier to clean.

It will need some board as there is a 10mm or so gap between the shower edge waterproof tape (not sure what its called) and wall.

Hardie Backer board? Might look again at shower panels ...

In response to you plaster requiring priming only, do you have any reccomendations for primer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back