Tiling new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Please could someone help by giving me a rough idea of how long I should leave to dry (a) 2/3 coat plaster which is against brickwork, and (b) plasterboard and skimmed top coat which will also be against brickwork on one wall and lathe batons on another wall. My intention is to tile over it with marble tiles. I read some horror stories that it might take 6 months to dry. I know it depends on the weather but I was wondering whether 2 weeks in current conditions (about 20-25C) would be enough? And will the moisture be absorbed by the brick and make its way out the other side of the internal wall if I have to tile before it is fully dry.

I am very much a learner at decorating so please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
For the 2/3 coat work I would allow 4 weeks, the skimmed plasterboard a week should be fine.

You would have been better off not skimming the plasterboard as it will not hold as much weight as bare plasterboard. Check the weight of your tiles inc adhesive for one square meter as a skimmed wall will only support 20kg/m2.

Jason

Thanks Jason. The work has not been done yet I am really just planning it. Would you therefore suggest that I insist on getting the guy to do a 2/3 coat all the way round to help support the marble tiles or will unskimmed plasterboard by fine? The tiles are will be floor to ceiling.

Cheers

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back