Tiling non square room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all
I need to tile my bathroom, however the whole building has shifted over the years and is therefore not square.

I am thinking that if i tile in straight lines starting at the door way the tiles will blatantly highlight the problem.

If i tile in straight lines back to the door way you will be met by an odd strip at the door way

Does anyone have any recommendations? will tiling in a diamond pattern help?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
No rooms or walls are ever perfectly square. I would dry lay quite a few tiles out first to see where you hit the worse problems of thin slithers of tiles and adjust your plan accordinly. Think more about laying the tiles square to each other rather than from the line of the walls. Personally i would lay from the door in straight lines finishing on the wall opposite which will more than likely have a sanitary wear on it? you also may have to take into account how the tiles will sit around the bath edge, as you dont want to end up with thin tiles around the bath. I draw out on the floor before i start to see how the tiles will lay.

Its always best to remove the skirting first to get a better finish and replace afterwards. Keep in mind tiling raises your floor level so this might obstruct the door when you open it after the tiles are laid. You will need to lay your tiles onto some plywood. The ply should be laid in large sheets as possible, with long joints running at 90 degrees to the long joints of your existing floor boards, marking out for obstructions and cutting around them like the loo, bath sink pedestal. It should then be screwed at approx every 200mm in both directions. making sure each screw head is countersunk to finish flush with the surface of the ply. Give the ply a coat of PVA as well so the tiles stick better. 2 pva 1 part water and let it dry out. I would avoid a diamond pattern but thats my personal taste. hope this helps....? ;)

Thanks for your advice. When i say the wall is not square there has been quite a considerable shift i would estimate a 5cm misalignment from being at perfect right angles across half the room.

The room lay out has a shower immediately left after the door way with the bath across the far end of the room, toilet and wall mounted sink along the right hand side wall

If the tiles line up with the shower, the door will have an increasing strip.

If they line up with the door, the shower will have the increasing size strip.

I am concerned at the immediacy of this angle when you walk in the room.

I will try dry laying them when i get a floor down!

dont use full tiles at the end you start then, cut them just around a 3rd, then when you get to the other side you wont have a full tile but you wont have a slither.

Sponsored Links
Personally i would lay from the door in straight lines finishing on the wall opposite...
That's not the way to go. Have a read of the tiling sticky for where to start laying out tiles.

you also may have to take into account how the tiles will sit around the bath edge, as you dont want to end up with thin tiles around the bath.
Good advice.

You will need to lay your tiles onto some plywood.
Where did it say that the bathroom floor was floorboards?

Give the ply a coat of PVA as well so the tiles stick better. 2 pva 1 part water and let it dry out.
Nope - read the adhesive instructions for any priming requirement. PVA is not generally recommended.

I would avoid a diamond pattern but thats my personal taste.
I too would advise against diamond pattern unless you know what you're doing because it makes things more difficult. Personally, I like it and did my own bathroom this way.

Gcol you must feel quite smart going over advice offered by others and placing your own comments? :rolleyes:
Not in the slightest, it just saves me typing out what you've already written. It's a common way of replying to someone's post on this site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back