tiling on asphalt + underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to tile my hall and kitchen and have also been toying with the idea of installing underfloor heating. The floor is asphalt (so I've been told-it's black that is about all I do know) and I've been told that I can't install underfloor heating onto it. So here are my questions-

1. Could I install heating onto the asphalt if I use the cement insulation boards that I have had suggested between the floor and the heating mat???

2. I have had different stories about using adhesives on the asphalt are some suitable and others not??

any help greatfully received.
Colin

Sponsored Links
Hi Colin,
You should check if it is asphalt for sure and maybe do a little digging.

If it is asphalt I would definitely stay clear of underfloor heating. Asphalt is very unstable or heat sensitive and your panels and even the units or furniture standing on it could sink into it if it is softened up...it might take a few years but it will happen.

You didn't say what kind of tiles you were laying. If its lino or vinyl tiles then you must use a water based or acrylic adhesive. You must not use any type of spirit based adhesive as the spirit content will attack and soften the asphalt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back