tiling on chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The flooring in my utility room is chipboard and I wish to ceramic tile it. Is covering it with plywood the best way? I would be grateful for any advice on this proceedure.
Thanks[/u]

Sponsored Links
There is "No -More - ply" a cement fibre board that is water proof and is used instead of plywood as it is only 6mm thick and is easier to handle as the sheet sizes are smaller (1200x600mm) This is available from independent tile and bathroom shops (not B&Q etc)

My tilers always use No-More Ply we rarely use conventional plywood anymore.

Sponsored Links
I've not come across that product alternative mate. What's it like for being rigid. I'd be concerned about movement what with it only being 6mm. I can't imagine it'd be anywhere near as stiff as 12mm ply.
When would you use conventional ply instead of this stuff then?

Honestly you would be amazed, it is really good. It is thin but very stiff once bonded to the floor. You use there polyurethane glue and 8 of there special screws per sheet. It is put down in a brickbond fashion for extra strength and is wonderfull. I have it on my bathroom floor with Granite floor tiles and underfloor heating and it is as rigid as concrete. If you want I can PM you the details.

If you have had a look at their site then that's it really apart from prices etc. Expect to pay about £10 - £12 a sheet

I sell it for £10 a sheet inc VAT to most people. How much profit do you think you need to make to run a shop ? Bear in mind the prices quoted from my supplier exclude delivery (unless you buy a **** load at a time)

Rent
Rates
Wages
Heat & Light
Insurance
Advertising
Motoring expenses (free delivery costs money)
Bank charges
Accountants fees
Display material
VAT
TAX
Employers NI contributions

etc etc etc etc shall I go on or do you think I should buy it and sell it for what it costs me then?

If you have never ran a business with premises and staff you would not have a clue what I am talking about. It is of course the difference between what you buy something for to what you sell it for that runs a business. Called profit, not a dirty word but a necessity to exist. Every company has to make profit.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I see your wink (in other words you may be pulling my leg) but I have posted the above as most people who have never ran a business will not understand what is involved :rolleyes:

Calm down dear it's just a commercial! :LOL:
Yes I have run my own business and I and do understand the concept of profit.
Anyone can buy this stuff direct fom the manufacturer for almost half what you're selling it for. I accept you're charging for convenience and overheads and I don't blame you for that. But please don't come on here quoting prices that are far in excess of the true prices that the product is available at. You say you come on here to help people... if that was the case, why didn't you say that you could buy this stuff direct from the manufacturer?
I will resist the urge to post a line of eye rolling smilies.

I give up

Far in excess of what you can buy it for ????

I make a few pounds a sheet, I have to buy it in bulk (in other words put my cash into it) and wait until every sheet has sold to realise the profit in it. I have to give advice on how to use it and as said out of the profit made per sheet I have to pay tax and everything else.

Why did I not direct people straight to the manufacturer? I mean why don't we scrap shops altogether then eh? That would be a good idea wouldn't it? :rolleyes: Why don't you go and fill your car up with petrol at the oil refinery too - after all it would be cheaper.

I think you have a twisted view gcol. Does the company you quality control for not make a profit? Do they have a money tree in the back yard? If you want to see real profit then look at a manufacturer.

Quite a few of the posts I have put on here to help people have been twisted round by you to have a pop at the fact I have a shop and that in some way by advising someone in Northumberland to use a type of adhesive I have something to gain financially. I mean they will leap in there cars and drive to me to buy a bag won't they. Tell you what I will scrap all my advertising (which has to be paid for by profit) and spend all my time on here advising people to glue a tile on the wall that has fallen off instead.

You say you have ran your own business, I would suggest that by what you type you have not ran a business with fixed premises, dealing with the public employing staff and offering services that have to be maintained. A tiler operating from a small van does not scratch the surface of the overheads that a showroom has to operate within. If all I had was a transit van and a tool bag I could sell stuff with a lower markup, but then I would not be a tile showroom anymore would I?

Keep your criticism to yourself. You can damage peoples reputations by constantly suggesting people are overpriced without knowing what you are talking about or who you are dealing with.

I suggest you concentrate on helping people.

Like I said, I don't blame you for making a profit - I know you have to do it.

You say you come on here to help people, well if that's the case, why not advise them to get it direct from the manufacturers and save a few quid? The advice that you say you have to give out is on their website. You've already said you don't expect people to drive miles just to go to your shop, so what's the harm?

I do not wish to see the closure of shops at all - my parents own a shop. I'll be in the market for some tiles shortly when I replace my kitchen and I fully intend to go to a small tile shop I used to deal with. I wish you nothing but success with your business.

Your analogy of the oil refinery is, to be honest, preposterous and I won't even dignify that with a response.

alternativetiles said:
You can damage peoples reputations by constantly suggesting people are overpriced without knowing what you are talking about......
Well if you hadn't used your name as your shop, added your website to your profile and continually mentioned the fact that you have a shop, then no one would have known who you were. Please be aware that this does not bother me - I'm just saying that's all.

alternativetiles said:
or who you are dealing with.
Is that a threat?

You have to understand that these posts I'm writing are a little tongue in cheek and are offered in a teasing fashion. I thought you realised this when you replied to the other post about recommending a 20mm notched trowel and 10mm grout gaps. Maybe it's just me, but one day you seem ok with a little ribbing but the next you fly off the handle.

I don't mind ribbing but clearly stating a manufacturers website and "cost prices" then saying I am charging too much is not fair unless it is qualified.

I can take ribbing but get a little peeved when I often respond to a post to try and help someone it is suggested I have another motive when I do not.

No threats made just pointing out that you have no idea of the facts of what I do and who I am and it is best to watch what you say as these things can effect people in ways not always apparent.

I used the name of my shop as a validation to people that the advice I give comes with some weight and experience. Yes it would be nice if by helping someone on here that someone local to me read it and purchased tiles but that is not the reason I used the name or am here on this forum.

As said there are a lot easier ways of advertising than arguing on here all day with you. In fact I am beginning to wonder whether it is worth replying to posts on this forum. My efforts to help people just make me appear to be a money grabbing overpriced retailer who is trying to manipulate people when I am not :eek:

The time I have spent typing replies to some remarks on here is not worth the effort :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back