Tiling on floor boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm about to tile my bathroom floor. It's tongue and groove; I'm going to use concrete boarding 6mm . Do I need to glue this down as well as screw this boarding down prior to tiling?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you mean cement fibre board, it just gets screwed down on something like 150mm centres. No need for glue

Consider installing electric heating mats. Even if you don't wire them into anything now, you may in future fancy putting a timer on so you have tiles prewarmed a few minutes before your morning routine; the mats are cheap and I wish I'd had the presence of mind to embed them in my adhesive before I laid the custom water jet cut tiles (that I now do not want to take a hammer to, to install a warm floor) ..

I carefully checked the stability of the joists and the nailing in the floorboards and primed them with SBR and bedded the (staggered) cement boards on flexible tile adhesive and screwed them down. It was a while ago but I must have got the advice from here or another reputable forum as I'm not a tiler. Bit of extra work but anything to avoid the disaster of cracked tiles. I think there was some suggestion of decoupling mats but I believe these are primarily designed for concrete floors.

Sponsored Links
I’d use tile backer board , light easy to cut and strong plus water resistant and you can tile directly on them.

If I’m screwing them to floorboards I tend to get a thin sheet of hardboard down first then put backer board down screwed down but I use these with the screws, designed for plasterboard but never had a issue

Just be mindful and thoughtful what’s under the floorboards ie pipes , wires etc and if installing new pipes access for these in the future

Attachments

• 4BC97318-8FC9-4E1F-BE41-9C5041A94CA7.jpeg
    4BC97318-8FC9-4E1F-BE41-9C5041A94CA7.jpeg
    15.1 KB · Views: 18

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back