tiling on ply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i put a bath in , and behind the bath i have a little bit of space up to the wall. to fill in the area behind the bath, i made a panel out of stud, and covered with 6mm wbp ply, and used 1001 screws, so its very rigid and isnt moving nowhere :)

i know i should have used 9mm or 12mm ply but it needed it to be flush around the back of the bath so had to use 6mm ply, hope this be ok. its firmly secured with battens and screws underneath, and plenty of them.

a tiler that came round said to put tiles around this area on the ply he would use gripfill and not adhesive is this correct?

Sponsored Links
a tiler that came round said to put tiles around this area on the ply he would use gripfill and not adhesive is this correct?

No hes talking out of his bottom,I normally use multifix on small to medium tiles and powdered flexi on the larger ones when fixing to ply.

just say thanks but no thanks to your "tiler"

usa tile adhesive, as long as the tiles are not big and heavy use a ready mixed adhesive.

does the adhesive for the ply need to be flexible and even waterproof as its directly behind the bath.

ideally i would liek to buy for the tiler the same adhesive to use all around the bath.

also another question if the grout being used is waterproof does the adhesive not have to be then...

Sponsored Links
If you worried about water ingress the tank it first.

Use an adhesive suitable for bathrooms.

"waterproof" adhesive and grout isnt waterproof. unfortunatly!

if your getting a tiler in dude let him buy the materials, he more than liekly can get the correct ones at a better price than you can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back