Tiling on to tanked vinyl flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently planning a renovation and the previous owner was disabled - the floor in the room in question has had the sort of industrial non-slip vinyl applied you see in care homes. I'm just wondering if I should bother lifting it or if I can tile straight onto it?

Also, the floor is a little creaky at the moment (think it's probably chip-board underneath). I'm planning on tiling with 45cm porcelain.
Is it worth putting some extra screws through the floor (if that would even help?), or would the tiles distribute the weight more evenly to reduce squeak anyway?

Sponsored Links
Yes, you could tile over vinyl or lino but there are lots of checks to be made on the vinyl, the underlayment, and joists, and the reason/cause of the squeaks.

Read up further info. on this forum and the building or floor forums.

Dont go blindly screwing unless you are sure of cable and pipe locations.

You can tile over vinyl if its really securely fixed and on a solid base but it sounds like your talking about altro flooring here.

If the subfloor is squeaking etc that means its loose, and if its chipboard its not a good base anyway. Take the altro\vinyl up, overboard the chipboard with a 6mm backerboard after fixing the chip down properly.

Sponsored Links
Ree - I was hoping a good stud/cable detector would eliminate issues there.

Tpt - it's that heavy duty stuff with a sparkle through it you commonly see in hospitals etc, not sure if that's altro.

Yep thats altro. take it up and sort the subfloor

Thanks - have pulled up a corner, turns out it's just the pine floorboards underneath. Pity I couldn't tile onto it (I'll need to resheet with ply now) but then I think I'd need to lift the floor for plumbing anyway.

your easiest way is to avoid the ply. remove the altro and overboard with no more ply or hardie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back