tiling onto bitumen adhesive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed some lino tiles and underneath is some black bitumen type adhesive. is this ok to tile onto or should I remove it?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I removed some lino tiles and underneath is some black bitumen type adhesive. is this ok to tile onto or should I remove it?
Thanks.

Ideally it should be totally removed , heed not to use any solvents to remove it as they may then react with the tile adhesive and cause failure.

Gaz

It’s not recommended to tile over bitumen adhesive but the problem is that the stuff is almost impossible to remove by mechanical means (it just goes soft) & solvents are not practical for health reasons & risk a possible reaction with the adhesive.

Best advice I can give is to remove the thicker/uneven/loose bits, make sure it’s clean & no grease, prime with an decent SBR based bonding primer & tile using a flexible cement powder adhesive (Rapidset Flexible). Neither I nor the adhesive manufacturer will guarantee it but I’ve tiled onto a couple of old kitchen floors without any comebacks. Some recommend priming with Ardex P82 primer but I’ve never tried it; only bullet proof approach would be to put down a self leveling screed & then tile over that.

scrape as much as you can off.
then put a slurry coat over it..(portland cement and sbr)

ratio..2part cement:1 part sbr.

Sponsored Links
Thanke for the replies fellas. The floor was pretty uneven so in the end I got most of it up with a sds hammer then put down self leveller.
I often use sbr slurry mix when plastering , handy to know it can be used with tiling too. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back