Tiling onto painted wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Just a quick question regarding preparation of the this type of surface for tiling.

I'm planning on sanding down (matt emulsion), and priming. Is this acceptable?

The plaster is about 6 months old.

I'm tiling using dunlop fast set and 100mm travertine tiles.

Its for a kitchen splashback!

Thanks for the advice!!!

Sponsored Links
Hey guys,

Just a quick question regarding preparation of the this type of surface for tiling.

I'm planning on sanding down (matt emulsion), and priming. Is this acceptable?

The plaster is about 6 months old.

I'm tiling using dunlop fast set and 100mm travertine tiles.

Its for a kitchen splashback!

Thanks for the advice!!!

if you score the paint with a stanley life this should be sufficient and remove many loose paint. as the tiles dont appear to be heavy.

Pretty much what I did in the end. Made a cats claw. Had to give it a bit of a hack where the claw wouldnt fit (around the edges and under the wall cupboards) just so theres something to key onto

Heres the almost finished result.

Reasonably happy for my first attempt. In hindsight I probably picked a very bad combination for a novice; stone tiles and fast set adhesive! I had to work alot quicker than I would have liked...

Considering resetting 3 tiles in the corner that are a little lipped before grouting. Should be easier to remove now and I have to fit the last few tiles when I've cut a notch from the wall cupboards.

Sponsored Links
Wow im impressed! That is a superb job, but what about those cuts around corners? U going to use a diamond electric wet cutter? How much would u have charged a paying customer for that job?

Wow im impressed! That is a superb job, but what about those cuts around corners? U going to use a diamond electric wet cutter? How much would u have charged a paying customer for that job?

Thanks! Its all done now looks great. I ended up cutting small notches from the kitchen cupboards and used whole tiles. Looks better I reckon I did buy a second hand saw though for some other cuts. I have no idea how much that would have cost me, but I paid 50 for the tiles, 75 for the tools as I'm a proper newbie I didnt have any tools so had to get the lot! Still got a box of tiles to move on myself now :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back