Tiling over Kitchen Paint...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya

Just looking for some advice, I'm currently fitting a brand new kitchen at the minute and I'm at the stage where I've started tiling, but I'm wondering weather you can tile on painted surfaces?

I've only done the one section of tiling, the kitchen has been re plastered and has had 1 coat of new plaster paint and a coat of dulux kitchen & bathroom. The guy I was an apprentice carpenter to used to just tile over the paint without scoring or sanding so that's why I kinda did the same, but I was never sure whether it needed to be sanded or something to help them adhere better. Will the bit I've put at the minute be OK, it seems to be ok and seems to have taken well, I'm using Mosaic tiles and all in one tile adhesive and grout which is also waterproof.

any information would be welcome, just wanna make sure I do a good job.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Gloss needs prepping but emulsion is usually OK but it all depends how well the paint is stuck to the wall as it’s this that will ultimately be holding your tiles up; if it’s well stuck on (Selotape tape test will tell), & with small tiles, a light sanding is probably all you need. You may be OK on what you’ve done so far with mosaics but I would bin the all in one stuff & get some decent trade adhesive/grout. All in one stuff isn’t really fit for purpose IMO & DIY products are mostly crap.

score the area with mister stanley for a key..
but..
more worried about the addy your using for MOSAIC... :rolleyes:

how big are the tiles..?
this will affect the size of notched trowel you will use..and mosaic adhesive...
are they glass mosiac/stone ect,.. will they need sealed etc..?

are they on a mesh or are they paper fronted??..

Sponsored Links
score the area with mister stanley for a key..
but..
more worried about the addy your using for MOSAIC... :rolleyes:

how big are the tiles..?
this will affect the size of notched trowel you will use..and mosaic adhesive...
are they glass mosiac/stone ect,.. will they need sealed etc..?

are they on a mesh or are they paper fronted??..

give the painted area a good scoring, personally i think if trying to do a tape test you would be ebtter off using duct tape

or are they what B&Q are selling, ceramic mosaic look a likes

Bin your all in one c rap mate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back