Tiling Newly Painted Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

Just finishing off a new kitchen refit, old kitchen was ripped out tiles removed and walls plaster skimmed.

Call me an idiot but the first thing I did was paint the entire room before fitting the kitchen.

The Kitchen is installed and all that is left is to tile.

I now have a problem, or do I? Would it be safe to tile onton this newly painted wall? I am only going to tile above all work surfaces and behind the cooker.

I'd hate to have to start removing paint a messing up such a nice kitchen!!

The walls were sealed with Dulux Trade Paint for new plaster followed by a second coat of the same, then one coat of Dulux Silk (Two Coats where I was not tiling)

PLEASE TELL ME I CAN TILE

Sponsored Links
Just leave it to fully harden then use a good quality adhesive. There's no weight involved.

Just leave it to fully harden then use a good quality adhesive. There's no weight involved.

This has been a long project as I work away so the paints been on at least 3 months. I'll probably get a named brand adhesive like UNIBOND rather than Homebase or Wickes own.

Breathes a sigh of relief!!

Many thanks : )

hi you should be fine to tile but like he said wait til it,s proper dry and coat your wall to be tiled with a pva solution just to be safe.

Sponsored Links
hi you should be fine to tile but like he said wait til it,s proper dry and coat your wall to be tiled with a pva solution just to be safe.

I had read somewhere that the tile adhesive had a tendancy to re-activate PVA thus causing problems? Anyway as the paint has been on such a long time I shouldn't need to seal it?

dont use pva
i would recommend bal blue or white star
also u could give wall a score with stanley blade proir to tiling.

The tile adhesion will only ever be as good as the bond between the paint to the plaster. If you prepped the bare plaster correctly (mist coats) before you painted it, you shouldn’t have any problems at all. Stick a 2ft strip of masking tape firmly on the wall & pull it off quickly, if the paint stays put your OK; if it comes off it could be a problem depending on the weight of the tiles. You could also try it with Gafa tape & if that works you’ve no problems! If it fails the test, scoring through to the plaster will help but make em pretty big scores as they are all that will be giving you a decent bond.

I wouldn’t advise using PVA under tiles; it can cause problems of it’s own especially in “wet” areas & will not do anything to improve the adhesion of the paint to the plaster which is the weakest link here! ;)

Well all the tiles are up on the wall and have been for couple of days.

During the tiling I had to remove a couple of tiles not long after they had been applied, I noticed that they were cracked. After removing them I scraped off the wet adhesive and the paint also peeled of with the scraper and the plaster was damp underneath.

This to me says that the moisture from the tile adhesive soaked through the paint into the wall. I thought this would be a problem but they must have dried out fine!!

Only time will tell : )

This to me says that the moisture from the tile adhesive soaked through the paint into the wall. I thought this would be a problem but they must have dried out fine!!
That's perfectly normal.

Looks like it all turned out OK, grouted the last few tiled sections at 7PM last night just under 24 hours since they were applied but had to get it done yesterday.

Pic below if anyones interested, not a bad job considering this was my first ever go, might turn professional!!!

Thanks to all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back