Tiling onto skimmed plasterboard - weight limits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I'm in the process of tiling my en suite bathroom in my new extension. I've picked out and bought some tiles only to then realise they're a bit heavier than I was expecting (yes I should have checked first).

The plasterer has boarded and skimmed the whole bathroom without asking anything about what areas will need tiling, so now I'm limited to 20kg/m2 if I stick to the guidelines.

The tiles I've got are 18.8kg/m2, so allowing for grout and adhesive it will take me over the limit.

The question I have is how conservative are these limits? Should I risk it and continue?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. I'd have to check with the plasterer but I'd hope it's moisture resistant! How much difference does that make?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. I'd have to check with the plasterer but I'd hope it's moisture resistant! How much difference does that make?
If its moisture resistant board I think its recommended that it has a coat of blue grit/bondit before skimming or it doesn't hold as much weight as plain skimmed board,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back