Tiling or kitchen units first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a kitchen that does not have wall or floor tiling yet. There will be tiling on the walls between the wall and floor units so I guess it is better to install the units first in order to get the tiles in the right place.

As for the floor tiles, I do not intend to put tiles under the units (they are expensive). Is there any problem with installing the units first and then doing the floor tiling?

Sponsored Links
hi frediaz, you are quite right about the way in which you want to do the tiling however there are a few things to remember about the floor tiles, if they are quite thick dont forgrt to take this into consideration when deciding the height of the worktops, generally i think the standard height of a worktop is around 925mm (top) so measure the height from the floor tile, this may seem trivial but if a worktop is too high or low, it never feels right (i have experience of this). also i would recommend taking the floor tiles fairly close to the legs of the units, under the kickboard/plinth to minimize any spilt liquid settling in the gap between tile and plinth, and it will look better. wall tiles after units fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back