Tiling over a wall that is not smooth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there,

I have a kitchen wall I am looking to re-tile. I have removed the old tiles and have a plaster wall with all sorts of small hollows (where removing the old adhesive/grout has taking bits of plaster away). I want to know whether i need to make this wall flat or whether the use of the adhesive under the tiles will 'fill' these hollows.

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
It has to be best to make good the damage to the wall really - although tile adhesive will accommodate things to some degree.
Some of the ready mixed plasters in tubs are ok if you fancy a try yourself....it depends on how much original material has come away.
John :)

You should always aim to get the tile base as flat as possible but you only need to rough fill holes & damaged plaster, it doesn’t need to be perfect. If laying large/heavy format tiles, you should be using a cement powdered adhesive & you can mix up a little of that & use it to fill out before you tile but I wouldn’t do the same with ready mix tub adhesive, use a filler or one coat plaster.

it depends on the state of your walls to be truthful, if the walls aint that bad you can just tile straight onto them.Obviously if there are deep holes or such like then they will have to be filled, and thats where i am with richard,use powdered adhesive

Sponsored Links
Great, thanks for that. Wall isn't in bad state, so confirmed my suspicions.... cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back