Tiling over insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 40mm step on my bathroom wall where it used to be half tiled.

On the upper half I want to add insulation and then tile over it. Possibly the 6mm ply faced Kingspan.

Will this cause any problems in a bathroom?

Is there any better way to deal with it?

Can you tile directly onto plain Kingspan ???

Tony

Sponsored Links
Yes, John but this is for the bathroom wall where I will not need special load bearing insulation.

I am more interested in how well tiles can be fixed to insulating material and stay in place in a damp environment.

Tony

sorry, got a little confused there, those boards, or ones that are similar can be used on the wall.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't tile onto kingspan! :eek:

Batten it out and fix a plasterboard and then tile.

Why not tike over kingspan?

If over plasterboard which side is best?

Tony

I wouldn't tile onto kingspan!
Neither would I; given the bathroom environment, it could provide a very nice environment for all sorts of nasties! I somehow seem to have missed this one so far but give me some time to go back to square one & I’ll post back what I think. ;)

Whats this Marmox board? Its not in Selco or Builder Depot !

Why is it any better than the 40mm Kingspan insulation with bonded plasterboard?

Tony

Whats this Marmox board?
A waterproof tile backer board;
http://www.tilefixdirect.com/catego...-boards.html?gclid=CMz0o-ni1qMCFVf-2AodHm1Ovw
Its not in Selco or Builder Depot !
You need to go to a local trade tiling distributor/stockist or buy on-line. Builders Merchants don't usually stock it & they will probably charge you an arm & leg anyway.
Why is it any better than the 40mm Kingspan insulation with bonded plasterboard?
If the job is to last any length of time, plasterboard used in bathrooms should always be Moisture Resistant, not standard wallboard. If using plasterboard in a wet area, you should always tank it before tiling; except for expensive epoxy products, waterproof adhesive & grout is only waterproof in the sense it won’t disintegrate when wet, it will still absorb water. It’s therefore important the tile base is also waterproof, if moisture gets behind the tiles, the PB will turn to mush (even MR eventually) & all sorts of smelly nasties will grow behind there until it eventually fails completely. A waterproof tile backer board is always the best solution.

Use a decent trade flexible adhesive & grout not cheapo DIY stuff

Its time for me to tackle this job.

With all the dire warnings about tiling over plasterboard in a bathroom I am wondering if instead of sheet material I should just build up the 40mm thickness with basecoat plaster instead?

The current wall surface is bare polished plaster. How well would new plaster stick to the existing?

Because of my lack of skill at plastering I would probably fix wooden battons to make the job easier for me. Any problems with that?

Tony

With all the dire warnings about tiling over plasterboard in a bathroom I am wondering if instead of sheet material I should just build up the 40mm thickness with basecoat plaster instead?

NOOO don’t do that, not only are you exceeding the maximum plaster thickness by a massive margin, base plaster is not a suitable tiling base at all.

Read this link to a similar thread;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=272619

Finish plaster also has a maximum weight limit of 20 kg/sqm excluding up to 4 kg/sqm for the adhesive & grout so if your planning on large format tiles, you could have a problem. You’d be better using Marmox insulated tile backer board as I posted originally.

Read the tiling forum sticky & archive posts it may prevent you making potentially disastrous & expensive mistakes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back