Tiling over old tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to start tiling my bathroom. It hasn't been done for many years and has tiles half way up the walls. The current tiles must be 40-50 years old and are rock solid and very flat. They are stuck to old fashioned plastered brick walls.

I have given one of the tiles a decent whack and it wasn't for shifting. Is it possible to tile floor to ceiling over the old tiles. How would I overcome the step half way up. The step is around 7mm.

Sponsored Links
your tiles have been fixed...old style..and they will be no doubt ceramic..

just bite the bullet and take them all off,is the house old whats the make up of the walls...do you have a cavity?...outer skin and inner skin..block/brick ect..

what type of tile and size are you planning on fixing?

Thanks for that.

The tiles were ceramic and I have taken a section out to have a better look. Looks like the wall will have to be replastered in some shape or form as there is no a step the other way between where I took the tiles off and the plastered wall above.

Any hints and tips and what to do next. Get plasterer in to skim or put some new plasterboard on. Here is a photo to give a better idea.

Sponsored Links
Looks exactly the same as my bathroom. I ripped the whole thing off and replaced with tile backer board. The raised cement render that the tiles were on was very well stuck to the walls but the plaster above was old, blown and almost fell off - no good for tiling on at all.

Depending on the weight of tiles, you might be able to dot and dab moisture resistant plasterboard. If they're too heavy (>32kg per m2 incl. adhesive) then you'll need tile backer boards not plasterboard.

Two of my bathroom walls are external, one solid, one cavity so I've added internal Celotex to help with insulation. Tile backer is fixed to battens and with the Celotex between the battens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back