Tiling over pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How would you go about this? Old gas fireplace getting tiled. Hoping to get an electric stove in there, but tight on space. Plasterer knew this, so didn’t go out the extra cm(ish) and said we can tile over it with a bit thicker adhesive and it should be fine.
Finally got around to tiling and didn’t realise it stuck out so far and protrudes a mm or 2 more than the tile thickness.
Partner just wants to notch out the tile so pipe is still visible as it’s the easiest option but I think it’ll look rubbish. To just tile over it, we’ll end up with a very obvious bulge.
Any thoughts on how we tile this? Can you carve out the back of a tile?

Attachments

• IMG_3880.jpeg
    IMG_3880.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3881.jpeg
    IMG_3881.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 63
Sponsored Links
Can’t see the rest of the photo, or envisage what you want to achieve. Possible options:

Build wall out using cut tiles either side, then tile on tile?
2x1 timber (or smaller if possible) plasterboard and tile on plasterboard?
Move the pipe? - is it still live?

If it's only a few mm from being vertical (hard to tell if the wall is plumb) you can grind out a chanel at the back of the tile with an angle grinder easy enough.

Wall is (relatively) plumb, the pipe protrudes out about a cm, tiles are approx 8mm thick. Pipe is still live, part of the heating system, so can’t cut the pipe.
Wider angle pic for a better view.
I thought about carving out some of the back with an angle grinder but tiles are 100x300x8 so thought it might be fiddly (and therefore endanger fingers!)

Attachments

• IMG_3883.jpeg
    IMG_3883.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Wall is (relatively) plumb, the pipe protrudes out about a cm, tiles are approx 8mm thick. Pipe is still live, part of the heating system, so can’t cut the pipe.
Wider angle pic for a better view.
I thought about carving out some of the back with an angle grinder but tiles are 100x300x8 so thought it might be fiddly (and therefore endanger fingers!)
Much better photo, thanks. I would either tile on tile, or build out using stud wall (2x1) but the latter will take a good 1.5” off the wall, give or take.

Clamp the tile somehow face down on flat surface and just gradually grind the back down and possibly use a tile file

6mm grout 4mm groove should get you there or thereabouts. With the tile being small it's worth a try

Then just dot and dab that tile and push over the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back