Tiling over this? Or remove...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've lifted an old carpet and want to tile this hallway. Underneath there are some very thin tiles, quite a few are broken, and some that aren't can be pulled up without much effort.

In addition to this there is a slanted lip between the hall and the next room.

I was wondering if putting self-levelling compound over this would lock the old tiles down and create a good surface to tile on top of, or, is that a stupid idea and I should remove them all, then self-level and then tile?

Just unsure if these are tiles put in for some specific reason that aren't meant to be taken up, or if they're just very poor quality (they're like 1mm thick).

Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated (even if that's 'you're in over your head, hire a professional haha).

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20220126_080036.jpg
    20220126_080036.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 111
Sponsored Links
You can’t tile over them . But they may contain asbestos.

Tiling is not my trade, but I have seen builders on a very similar job in a porch..
They painted those tiles with pitch (I think the new generation calls it liquid membrane or liquid dpm), they levelled with levelling compound which took them at the same level of the rest of the house.

Tiling is not my trade, but I have seen builders on a very similar job in a porch..
They painted those tiles with pitch (I think the new generation calls it liquid membrane or liquid dpm), they levelled with levelling compound which took them at the same level of the rest of the house.
can be pulled up without much effort.
it’ll be debonded and hollow in no time.

Sponsored Links
Ceramic tile will raise your FFL so will SLC.
When Tiling properly you meet the thresholds, and go under the skirting & jambs.
Slide an old steel trowel or similar under the tiles and lift them.
What 's been proposed might work out alright - but I would remove all the top layers and post pics of the exposed base floor on here.

OK, thanks all. I'll damp the floor down and remove them, I don't think it will be difficult to get them up in-tact from what I've seen so far.

Yes, floor level was a concern as the intended new tiles are much thicker. There's plenty of clearance for the front door and I'm not particularly worried about connections to other rooms as they currently have vinyl and this will also be replaced with tiles on one side and either wood or laminate on the other (so hopefully they will all raise to roughly the same height). But getting under the skirting board would, I assume, mean removing and re-fitting it.

Again, thanks for the help. I'll pull the tiles up and post what the floor beneath looks like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back