Tiling over tiles!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This didn't happen to me but a friend of mine just got a quote on her bathroom. She wanted a new bath, basin and WC fitted and the floor tiled. The tiles on the wall (about 2sqm) were shot and she wanted those removed and new ones put up.

Cost? £3.5k.

Bit high I thought. Then I heard that the builder suggested that he should simply tile over both the floor and wall tiles. :eek: :LOL: :eek: :eek:

He'd done it before plenty of times apparently. Uh huh! My friend didn't employ him. :)

Sponsored Links
Where's the problem? It's quite common. Reduces cost as the old ones don't have to be removed. Doesn't look quite as good but cheaper.

Where's the problem? It's quite common. Reduces cost as the old ones don't have to be removed. Doesn't look quite as good but cheaper.

Well apart from it being a bodge (there are plenty of things that reduce cost that I think are a bit dodgy), :) the old tiles were completely knackered because the plasterboard they were on had got drenched, the beams behind were rotting and it would have stayed up for about 2 weeks :)

thats probably why the quote was high then...its not a simple case of boshing a few tiles on a wall :confused:

Sponsored Links
I thought the point here was that the quote was high AND it was going to be a bodge job!!

And the floor would be raised by at least 11mm, thus the door would need resetting, then when the floor was done properly (very soon as it is a bodge job) a new door would be required etc etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back