Tiling Rip off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya. We need to tile 4m2 of tiles in the kitchen and we've got quotes varying from £70 to £379. Honestly I thought that this last guy was joking!
What's an acceptable price to pay?

When the kitchen installers took off the tiles they damaged parts of the plasterboard. So I thought that the last guy was quoting so high as he was going to change some of the plasterboard (just one wall) but when I said we'd do that ourselves he did not lower the price!

Is it quite easy to cut the damaged plasterboard and replace it with new one? What kind of plasterboard shall we buy and how much does it cost?

Sponsored Links
It's difficult to give estimates without seeing the job - it depends on several factors. I.e. size of tile, how flat the wall is, is there a window reveal involved etc.
Assuming that the walls are flat and the tiles are 100mm x 100mm, you're going to need 1 tub of adhesive and 3kg of grout. Work on tiling one day and coming back the next to grout.
I'd have thought £250 maximum (including the adhesive and grout).

Plasterboard is cheap and easy to fit so that's why the tiler wouldn't lower his price. Get yourself to B&Q and get a sheet that's 9 or 12mm thick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back