Tiling skimmed walls in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the next few days I will be getting about to tiling our new ensuit. The shower trays been fitted and the walls skimmed (over a month ago) now I just need to do the tiling.

I have a good idea of how to go about it but Im just looking for some reassurance really.

The first thing I was going to do was tank the walls around the shower tray. It's been along time since I last did any tiling and I've only recently read about tanking wet areas. Would you say this is now a definate requirement?

My other question is do I need to use a primer before I start tiling and if so which primer and adhesive combination would you recommend?

The tiles I'll be using are ceramic 20x40cm.

Thanks
David

Sponsored Links
Hi David,
Tanking is well worth it if its a plasterboard(stud) wall. no so much of a concern for solid walls.

Primer - it depends on the adhesive. usually an acrylic primer first. Adhesive wise, if you were at my counter i'd sell you bostik showerproof and tell you to prime it first.

BTW, you could argue a bagged adhesive should be used due to the tile size, you will just get away with it based on the width of the tile, but bagged wouldn't be the worst idea

Thanks for the reply.

They are stud walls so it looks like I'll be taking your advice and tanking the shower area.

I must admit I've been looking at ready mix adhesives mainly because I don't like the thought of having to mix a new batch of bagged adhesive every 30 minutes or so which is what I'd read is the usual.

But if it's the right tool for the job then so be it. Either that or I use a 15x30 tile instead.

The issue comes about because tubbed adhesives need air contact to dry - with a really big tile the centre can stay wet. We normally work on anything over 300mm needs a bagged adhesive, but in the real world we see fixers using tubbed on some quite large stuff. if you use tubbed stay away from the diy sheds and go for bal, granfix, bostik or another trade brand.

A bagged adhesive can be a pain for a diy'er, ideally you need a drill mixer which makes it easy. if you do get a white adhesive then you wont have to keep cleaning the joints out.

Sponsored Links
mixing a small amount with a wooden spoon ,like the one you use for cooking is alot easier then getting the mixer out for small amounts

I prefer bagged adhesive all day long ,much better for showers as it is cement based also alot more robust

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back