Tiling Steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to take on a tiling job that will push the limits of my abilities! I would say I'm quite comfortable tiling Bathrooms & Kitchens having done quite a few in the past. However, these steps will certainly test my ability. So was hoping for some advice regarding a few questions I have.

I have attached a picture of the steps in question, which should give you an idea of what I have to do. Although its worth noting that the steps have been relaid with Granite/cement and have a much better finish (Level) than the picture shows.

So, when tiling the nose of the step, I intend for the upstanding tiles to be 'on' the lower tile (a grouting gap will be used too) and the upper step to be on the upstand. As per attached 'Tile doc'. My question is, should I have a 'grout line' between the top of the up-stand and the underside of the upper tile, or should the upper tile sit directly on he up-stand?

Also, as you can see the steps curve, so I will need to cut this curve in the tile. I intend to do this with a Diamond Tip Grinder blade then smooth off the finish with sand paper. However, this cut edge will be left exposed. Do you have any suggestions how you would finish this? Ideally I would colour it to match the colour of the tile (Anthracite Grey).

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20180806_130029.jpg
    IMG_20180806_130029.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 188
  • Tile.JPG
    Tile.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 181
Sponsored Links
you want to cut the remainin metal post stubs flush with the surface. use metal blade in angle grinder.
you also want to cut back the render from any contact with ground or finished surfaces.
the first bit of peepin up riser is a toe tripper.

use custom external step nosings or the tread tile nosings will chip.
you riser tile in diagram is correct.

Hi bobasd,

Thanks for the reply, I have removed the stubs and resurfaced the steps with a granite / cement mix. So each step is now about 20-30mm higher.

I had thought about nosings, (I assume you mean the metal strips?) They are quite expensive! But b=maybe the only option.

Do you have any ideas about the outer curved edge?

Thanks again

yes, they are expensive for what they are. ther are also curved trims for edgin but probly not needed for you.
i dont now what your tile is but should be ok doin what you say above - but first dry fit every tread an nosing anmark the curve before cuttin.

be aware its not easy settin out kite winders for tile - you dont want to end up with slivers of tile

Sponsored Links
Sorry for my ignorance, but whats a Kite Winder?

Ive attached a updated photo of the steps showing new concrete and 10mm porcelain tiles to be used. Although these tiles will be 600 x 600mm not 600 x 300

Cheers

Attachments

• Steps.jpg
    Steps.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 190
From wikipedia:

Winders are steps that are narrower on one side than the other. They are used to change the direction of the stairs without landings. A series of winders form a circular or spiral stairway. When three steps are used to turn a 90° corner, the middle step is called a kite winderas a kite-shaped quadrilateral.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back