Tiling the floor before kitchen is fitted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting a new kitchen but I'm going to tile the walls & floor myself.

Should I wait for the fitters to finish or should I tile the floor while the kitchen is empty?

Does it matter either way?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Does it matter?
Probably only in as much that tiling over suspended timber floors needs careful consideration & extra preparation. You can do it either way; tiling before means you have an unobstructed floor & can tile the complete area but this is obviously more expensive than tiling just under the plinth line (assuming you have one). But if you tile first there is a risk that ham fisted kitchen fitters can damage your new tiles.
If you decide to tile after, make allowance for the loss of height or you may not get integrated/built in units to fit under the worktop, it’s always best to fully tile these areas anyway even if you don’t tile under the rest of the plinth. Think carefully & plan your tile layout so you get a balanced layout with regard to plinth lines, walls etc.

There are a few things to catch you out & I would advise you read the Tiling Sticky & Forum Archive posts before doing any work or buying materials, it could prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes. It’s also important to use only quality trade tilling materials of the correct type for your tiles; cheapo own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back