Tiling the side of my bath.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I would like to tile the side of my bath and have bought a piece of MDF to use as the panel which I am going to glue the tiles to.

I thought that I would use magnets to keep the panel in place, so that it can be removed to get access to the bath plumbing in the future if required.

The only worry is that I obviously wont be able to grout between the tiles on the edge of the bath panel and the tiles on the wall, which might look odd.

Is this a common way of doing a bath panel or is it more usual to stick the bath panel down permanently?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's common to permanently fix it in place. Mine's a push fit though. You can still grout the corners, it just means you have to break the grout away when you want to remove the panel.

I have used tile edgeing on mine and on the bottom use something like rubber strip covering as they do on the kitchen bottom plinth to stop the water soaking up in the mdf

It's a good idea to use a wood preservative product to give it a hint of protection. Something like you would paint your shed with is ideal.

Sponsored Links
May I point out that you really shouldnt be using mdf as a bath panel it is the wrong material for the job. A waterproof ply would be great.

Now as for using magnets to hold up a tiled bath panel, I hope they are very strong magnets as the panel will end up being rather weighty.

You can neat pva your panel first then use tile adhesive and that will be as strong as you need.

I always use chrome capped screws to hold the panel in place before grouting and siliconing. Just drill through the tiles and panel symetrically and secure to your bath frame. :LOL:

thanks alot for the replies.

My first attempt with the mdf ended in failure which I think was because the mdf bent quite easily:(

Basically, when I was trying to move the panel into place with the tiles attached to it(using no nails glue) the mdf bent slightly and this caused the bond between the tiles and mdf to become weaker and some of the tiles started to become disloged.

This was after waiting 24 hrs for the glue to dry properly.

I guess I should have created a wooden frame to stick to the back of the panel to keep it flat.

Anyway, I've now bought some exterior ply and this is alot more sturdy.

Because I intend to sell the house fairly soon after I've finished doing it up I think I would rather have the panel easily removable, so I do like the idea of scewing the panal on with chrome capped screws rather than fixing it permanently.

I dont think I will grout it to the walls and floor either. Hopefully it will look ok

Do you think that using no nails glue will work for sticking the tiles to the ply wood?

Thanks alot for the advice.

,:cool:

Iotrez said:
Anyway, I've now bought some exterior ply and this is alot more sturdy.
What thickness? Ply can easily bend over time if it's not supported.

Iotrez said:
Because I intend to sell the house fairly soon after I've finished doing it up I think I would rather have the panel easily removable....
Why?

Iotrez said:
Do you think that using no nails glue will work for sticking the tiles to the ply wood?
Well it should stick them, but tile adhesive is fine on ply. :confused:

The ply is about 1 cm thick and is alot less flexable than the mdf, but maybe I should make a wooden frame and screw it to the back of the panel to be on the safe side.

With regards to having a removable panel, I just thought that if the new owners of the house have any trouble with the bath plumbing in the future then they would be able to fix the problem more easily. Whereas if the panel is glued on, then they would have to prise it off and might end up cracking some of the tiles on the panel.

Iotrez said:
With regards to having a removable panel, I just thought that if the new owners of the house have any trouble with the bath plumbing in the future then they would be able to fix the problem more easily. Whereas if the panel is glued on, then they would have to prise it off and might end up cracking some of the tiles on the panel.
Awww init nice that you care - most folk would just screw it on and tile it shut. ;)

Well....thinking about it I guess I'm not that bothered :evil:

It's common to permanently fix it in place. Mine's a push fit though. You can still grout the corners, it just means you have to break the grout away when you want to remove the panel.
hi
wat is the silicone for bath

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back