Tiling tips and advice please!

if i were you id do the bottom half of the wall including the mosaics one day then top half next day, the mosaics are strrange characters that cant take a tile 6 times its own weight! imagine it you sitting on your kids and then expect them not to move!

:cool:

Sponsored Links
Thanks - my only worry with that is if the mosaics are out (i.e. not level) even slightly the tiles sat on top will be too won't they? Guess I'll just have to take my level and ensure each run is level. Is that the best way to do it would you say?

Thanks - my only worry with that is if the mosaics are out (i.e. not level) even slightly the tiles sat on top will be too won't they? Guess I'll just have to take my level and ensure each run is level. Is that the best way to do it would you say?
Don’t worry about it, just adjust the first tile run above with spacers, matchsticks or whatever else you need to get it back into line; you won’t notice the discrepancy in the border tile once it’s grouted as long as it's within reason & you haven’t totally screwed up at the start. Get the first run above the border level & plumb &, once it’s grabbed, away you go again with the rest. A central border can be really useful with large tiles, allowing you to adjust any slight misalignment that’s being magnified as you go up.

i think what RC is trying to say, a mosaic border helps hide any **** ups...

Sponsored Links
i think what RC is trying to say, a mosaic border helps hide any **** ups...
**** ups! I never make any, just "minor adjustments" :rolleyes:

Difficult to spot one that easily after I’ve finished anyway :LOL:

Thanks very much :D You guys are great, looking forward to starting this off today, will post some progress pics as I go along.

good luck with it fella, when its done it is rewarding to see your hard work finished

Thanks buddy :D I'm nearly done on the bottom half, taking my time to make sure all is well before I speed things up a bit!

When it comes to a corner, where the two walls meet, am I going to run a silicon bead from top to bottom of the wall over the tile? ...or grout it in?

I'm assuming I can't butt the tiles of one wall onto the tiles of the other as they need some expansion space don't they (2mm or so)

Thanks

Thanks buddy :D I'm nearly done on the bottom half, taking my time to make sure all is well before I speed things up a bit!

When it comes to a corner, where the two walls meet, am I going to run a silicon bead from top to bottom of the wall over the tile? ...or grout it in?

I'm assuming I can't butt the tiles of one wall onto the tiles of the other as they need some expansion space don't they (2mm or so)

Thanks

i personally only silicone corner sections that are going to get wet, so otherwise its grout all the way and yes leave a min of 2mm between the tiles

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back