Tiling/Underfloor heating preparation advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Planning to replace our kitchen floor with tiles, particularly like these:

http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod42569/section-1/Yorkstone-Modular.html

Don't want to come downstairs to cold tiles in the morning so want to fit an under-tile heating system and looking at the Warmup kits also available from Topps Tiles.

Now my questions come from the preparation of the floor.

The base floor appears to be chipboard floorboards (with a brown painted layer on it) above a concrete base with insulation between as per photo below:

p1380322_zpsa3abcabb.jpg

Laid on top is two (yes two) layers of vinyl tiles and then laminate wood flooring on top of that as follows:

IMG_0679_zps03e21c03.jpg

Total height of all these current floors on top of the chipboard is 15mm as below (and roughly aligns with adjacent carpeted rooms.

IMG_0681_zps24f8dcd2.jpg

Pulling up the vinyl tiles takes the brown 'surface' of the chipboard as follows:

IMG_0683_zpsd4b12239.jpg
[/URL]

My initial thoughts are:

6mm insulated tile backer board nailed onto the chipboard to provide a flat insulated surface.
3mm for the Warmup underfloor heating system

That gives me 6mm for the flexible adhesive and tiles without raising the height above current level.

Does this sound sensible?

Questions/thoughts in my head:

Do I need the insulated tile backing boards as floor is already insulated?
If I do use the tile backing boards should they be stuck to chipboard with adhesive (depending on manufacturer some suggest adhesive others say to nail to existing wood floorboards) - don't want to add anymore height?

Any clever ideas to lift the existing vinyl tiles easily (its been a complete **** to do a small trial area?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
[/list]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back