Tiling upstands

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right. I'm about to finally get around to tiling the shower cubicle I built several weeks ago. (I've been busy, okay? :) )

The shower tray I have has three upstands that sit about 20mm above the rim of the shower tray and fit snugly against the cubicle walls. The upstands are around 3-4mm thick. Now here's the thing - do I sit the first row of tiles on top of these upstands, so they are flat to the shower walls? Or do I sit them on top of the shower tray rim, overlapping the upstands, in which case the tiles will slope inwards slightly at the bottom, making for an awkward look, but a better watertight finish?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
dingbat said:
do I sit them on top of the shower tray rim, overlapping the upstands, in which case the tiles will slope inwards slightly at the bottom, making for an awkward look, but a better watertight finish?
Yes, you have no choice otherwise everytime you step onto the shower tray the weight push down slightly and start giving leaking problem if you butt joint them. Why not put on a thicker tile adhesive so it's the same level upright.

Upstands?

Is that the lip around the edge?

Shouldn't you have let that into the wall slightly???

Only asking, not critisising :D

Thanks Masona, that's kind of what I expected.

MMJ, an upstand is where the edge of the tray is turned vertically upwards to meet the wall. The tray manufacturer specified the opening size and their drawings show the upstand butted to the wall, not set in. I had considered trying to do that but realized it would give the twin difficulties of construction of the walls and of actually getting the tray into the space - it was tight enough as it was.

Thanks for comments.

Sponsored Links
I'd be tempted to skim the wall to bring the wall flush to the upstand then.

I'd also silicone the bottom (back) of the tile to the upstand to prevent capillary action up the wall. Will also also some degree of movement/flex of the shower tray, as problems arise when materials of different properties meet.

Nothing worse than wonky tiles. My kitchen is full of 'em!

(Not my work I hasten to add!)

Good luck

mildmanneredjanitor said:
Also might be quicker use shower tiles panel sheet design for tiles with a waterproof backing. I think Wickes sell them.

I was. I was told not to. (long story)

Anyway, it's done now. And for peace of mind the board was PVA'd and everywhere there was a gap there is now silicone sealant squeezed well in.

dingbat said:

I was. I was told not to. (long story)

Anyway, it's done now. And for peace of mind the board was PVA'd and everywhere there was a gap there is now silicone sealant squeezed well in.

That's ok, I'm married too.
whack.gif

masona said:
...might be quicker use shower tiles panel sheet design for tiles with a waterproof backing. I think Wickes sell them.

The pucka stuff costs about a ton a sheet! It looks good but I'd be in for £300 before adhesive, sealant, etc... Anyhoo the tiling is finished now, bar the grouting, which is tomorrow's little job.. It looks good, cost about £80 and I now have yet another skill to add to my growing list of things I'd really rather not tackle again!!

Tank the walls (and bond them to the tray) with a product called BAL WP1 (water protection one, mentioned once or twice on here) then tile over it with a slightly thicker bed of adhesive above it to keep the tiles vertical. Without knowing the thickness of the upstand I can't tell you what type of adhesive is best to go for.

That's the way i would go for it anyway I think.

:)

Ta,

I must stop searching for tiling posts now then as i must have replied to a few now that have passed their time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back