Tiling - Wall layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have made a few posts about tiling my ensuite, thanks so far for your help in answering my questions.

I have uploaded images of the intended layout of each of the walls and a floorplan for the room. (sad I know, but I had time on my hands and got to do it properly!)

Do you all think that it looks ok? The little markers on the tops of the wall show the middle of the wall length.

The last image (without title on image) is an alternative for the sink/toilet wall - but I don't think it would work due to the tiny snippets required around the window.

Your comments will be greatly appreciated. (I know in a way I should centre the window vertical reveal tiles, but that adds loads of cuts and the lengths are very short anyway!

Argggh, where are the images!! they are in my album so free to view, but don't know how to get them up here!!
//www.diynot.com/network/kevd/albums/

Sponsored Links
Good post Kev.

My opinions only....

On this wall, I think I'd move the tiles a little to the right so that the left 3 columns are central on that darker blue section.
//www.diynot.com/network/kevd/albums/2298/8763

Move this lot a little to the left to do away with the thin pieces at the bottom left.
//www.diynot.com/network/kevd/albums/2298/8765

Fine. Wall on right will be moved as in first comment.
//www.diynot.com/network/kevd/albums/2298/8766

Can you do a layout with the tiles centred on the wall centre? Forget about the window. That means moving the tiles below slightly to the right.
//www.diynot.com/network/kevd/albums/2298/8768

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have made a new album, innovatively called "Ensuite Updated" with these changes (apart from one!) and added comments etc by the images also.

//www.diynot.com/network/kevd/albums/

Regarding suggestion for door wall - to centre tiles on the main wall to the left of the door - I didn't do this yet as I thought it would look better to have the shower rail central in a tile (or grout line) rather than off centre. The thinking was that the door line would break up that wall anyway removing the evenness - apart from across the top! :)

Rad wall suggestion - updated image. Due to toilet and radiator (whatever one I pick - could be a tall one?), the uneveness on the bottom half of the wall will not be so noticeable. The top half of wall is nigh on middle anyway, and will make the small tiled bit just above the window sill better.

Sink/Toilet wall suggestion - I have uploaded 4 images taking into account the different choices available (i.e. of where to centre). The original image (centre of tile at centre of window) did mean a slightly different width for the cut tiles on the LH and RH edges of that wall- but I sort of thought that wouldn't be so noticeable due to sink and the top half being mainly mirror. The main thinking here was to centre on the window.

ALT1 - Edges of tile at centre of window - creates an issue along edges of the window face. Plus still an uneveness along wall.

ALT2 - Edges of tile centred along wall length (as suggested) - Evens up RH and LH edges and not really noticeable around window where slightly off centre - probably the one to go for.

ALT3 - Centre of tile centred along wall length - Creates an issue along edges of window face.

For me its either the original layout or the ALT2 (as suggested by gcol). Personally I think ALT2 is best overall.

I did notice that no one spotted the deliberate mistake of me missing out the wall infront of the toilet - so I have added that to the album!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back