to p.v.a or not to p.v.a

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
iam in the process of doing my bathroom and was wondering if i would need to p.v.a. this wall.the wall in question had tiles on it originally (dot and dab oh dear) now these came off the wall very easily.the wall is a plasterboard wall with a thin skim on it i have uploaded an image please advise
many thanks

Sponsored Links
It sure won't do any harm - it'll prevent the tile adhesive moisture from being absorbed into the wall too quickly. John :)

Assuming the plaster has not come away from the wall just clean off any bits of adhesive left on there & re-tile. It’s not a good idea to PVA before tiling, as Burnerman says, it increases the adhesive setting time & as it’s water soluble, should definitely NOT be used in wet areas; in the worst case scenario your tiles could eventually fall off the wall.

As its plasterboard, I would strongly advise you think about tanking the wet areas before retiling & use only quality trade, flexible adhesive & grout, not the cheap stuff DIY sheds sell. Follow the adhesive manufacturer’s instructions regarding priming the surface but I would never use PVA.

Sponsored Links
thanks for your help just wanted to clear this up as not long before full steam ahead
once again thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back