Tiling wall prep - how smooth does the wall have to be?

k4p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

I am about to get a kitchen tiled, not a large area (more of a splashback).

The surface isn't totally smooth, some bonding has been used to make smoothout some large areas. A tiler has told me that tiling adhesive can be used to make the wall smooth for the tiles. The wall isn't totally verticle either, the area that has been bonded is a few mm's (max-3mm) out when compared to the wall above.

I'm not sure whether this is the best advice.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
What size/weight are your tiles? Tub adhesive can be used for a bedding depth up to 3mm thick, powder cement addy considerably more. Your tiller has obviously assessed the job & thinks it’ll be OK & what he’s saying is OK up to a point. If there’s a 3mm difference over a largish area (couple of feet or so) it should be OK but a 3mm step or difference in level over a small area will probably show on the finished job, particularly with large format tiles.

You say the area has been bonded, I assume your referring to Bonding plaster? You can get away using it for rough filling small holes where the previously tiles have pulled the plaster off the wall but base Gypsum plasters are not suitable as a tile base, they are far too weak. How large an area has been plastered &, more importantly, what size/weight are your tiles?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back