surface prep after tile removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive removed most of the kitchen tiles which were mounted on a plaster board wall in and area im getting ready to re tile.

At the moment it looks like this:

This is how the surface looks fo the most part

Aside from scraping off the last bits of adhesive and repairing the odd area that will need filling and smoothing out is there any thing i need to apply to the surface in order to prep the wall for new tile adhesive and tiles?

Thanks
Rob

Sponsored Links
Acrylic Primer (NOT PVA!!) would be ideal. Aside from that, make the wall good and then you should be okay to tile once primed depending on how well you've trimmed it up :)

Thanks mate.

On antother note, has anyone used one of those Oscillating multitools with a scraper attachment to remove old tile adhesive?

If so what sort of results did you have?

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate.

On antother note, has anyone used one of those Oscillating multitools with a scraper attachment to remove old tile adhesive?

If so what sort of results did you have?

Yes actually. A mishap (or oversight due to tiredness) meant I had to grind down a fair whack of adhesive. I was trying to take it up with a scraped but it sucked ass. Talking 45 minutes for maybe 2 tiles, usually one. BUT if you get your hands on a carbide rasp attachment.... took down the rest of the floor in an hour.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Worx-WA4966...oKGidRgSBUCq3kGAmfcaAlYtEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Bewarned, it's an ONLINE STORE ONLY product. Thankfully I was able to pull some strings where I work and got hold of one pretty easy but if you can hold out for them to ship that tool, it's a dream!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back